If you’re a product of the 90’s and actually watched cartoons when cartoons were cartoons, then chances are, you know Doug Funnie, Patti, Skeeter (who thought that was a good idea for a name) and of course The Beets, doug’s all-time favorite band, and “the greatest fiction band of all-time” according to Things90sKidsRealize.com. Which by the way, is a really neat site about 90’s pop culture and you should check it out.
Anywho, back to the beets. Well, the real ones that is. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I’ve been experimenting a bit with my food which have included eating foods with more Vitamin A, hence the carrot salad, and reducing my starch intake. Beets, however, seem to be a great choice as they have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal qualities which is great for digestion.
Thus, the reason behind today’s recipe. I did a little research online and found several recipes that included goat cheese (which, you could very easily do) yet since I do not tolerate dairy very well, I opted out. This would be a great side dish, you could toss it in with a salad or just eat on it’s own…much like I’m doing right now.
Raw Citrus Beet Salad with Mint
- 2 raw organic beets
- 2 organic oranges (I used 1 blood orange and 1 navel orange)
- ½ organic lemon
- Fresh organic mint
- Fresh organic parsley
- ½ tsp. sea salt
Grate the beets in a big mixing bowl.
Squeeze the juice of just 1 of the oranges into the beets.
- Save the other orange to add in the actual salad. Peel and cut up the orange in small triangular shapes like the picture below shows.
- Add the juice of ½ a lemon
- Remove the mint and parsley leaves from their respective stems and chiffonade the leaves. Chiffonade is just fancy lingo for cutting herbs into long strips. Chiffonade baby. Chiffonade. Throw into the mixture.
- Add the sea salt and stir until everything gets mixed together all nice.
- Top off with some extra mint and parsley, and a few orange slices so it looks pretty.
How big are your beets? Some I find are huge (3″ in diameter)…others are smaller.
Hi Mary – The beets are on the bigger side 3″ about. I used these from Whole Foods.