The fourth chakra, or heart chakra marks an interesting transition as we spiral our way up the body. It is here that we transition from the lower half of the chakra system, which is more physical in nature, to the upper half of the system which is more mental, spiritual and emotional.
The heart chakra is a bridge between the body and the spirit. This is where we develop unconditional love and true self-acceptance.
As a quick reference guide, I’ve listed the basic description of the the sacral chakra as well as the physical, mental and emotional ailments of each, along with healing modalities.
Heart Chakra Descriptions:
Sanskrit name: Anahata or “unstruck”
Location: At the center of the chest
Associated color: Green
Main Issues: Love and relationships
Endocrine Gland: Thymus
Body parts: Heart, lungs, chest and circulation
Astrological sign: Libra, Taurus
Heart Chakra Ailments
Physical ailments: High blood pressure, heart disease, and cancer
Emotional dysfunctions: Co-dependent, fears of mistrust and betrayal
When the heart chakra is too open, or spins too fast, we can become possesive, and begin to withhold our love as a form of punishment. We can also tend to be overly dramatic.
When the heart chakra is blocked, or sluggish, we can take pity on ourselves, fear rejection and feel unworthy to receive love.
When the heart chakra is balanced, we love unconditionally and look for a spiritual experience when making love.
How To Heal the Heart Chakra
Crystals: Rose quartz, malachite. green jade
Fragrances: Rose, Bergamot, Melissa
Heart Chakra Meditations:
- I release all hurt from my past, and forgive those that need forgiveness. Translation: I’ll let karma take care of it.
- No matter what crosses my path, I will continue to keep my head up and my heart open. Translation: Just keep swimming, just keep swimming! (Dori from Finding Nemo)
- I am grateful for all the love that is in my life. Translation: Love is all around me, and I’m thankful for it, I just need to stop and recognize its there.
Self Reflection Questions for the Heart chakra:
- How much do you feel connected to others? Do you smile at people as you walk by?
- When was the last time you truly felt that “spark” or a deep connection with someone? Look back at the time and see if you can find the special things about that person or situation that made you feel that way.
- Do you judge others? Or are you compassionate? Do you accept others for who they are?
Movement Therapy for the Heart chakra
The following video has 3 great pilates exercise, the first is the “swan dive”, the second, is a modification of the “breast stroke” and third is a “reverse plank”. These 3 exercises can be used to bring energy back to your heart chakra. You can do this whenever you are feeling stressed, during your warm-up in a workout, in the morning, or right before you go to bed.
The anatomy and physiology of the heart chakra aka Anahata are associated with those of the circulatory system or cardiovascular system.