Right below our navel lies what’s known as the solar plexus or our third chakra. This is where we hold our self-will and personal power, this is where we get that “gut instinct” which we so often ignore.
It’s here at the third chakra where we build our self-esteem and self-confidence. Which totally makes sense if you think about the last time you were nervous, you may have felt funky in the tummy.
As a quick reference guide, I’ve listed the basic description of the the sacral chakra as well as the physical, mental and emotional ailments of each, along with healing modalities.
Third Chakra Descriptions
Sanskrit name: Manipura or lustrous gem
Location: Between navel and base of sternum
Associated color: Yellow
Main Issues: Personal power and self-will; self-esteem
Endocrine Gland: Pancreas
Body parts: Digestive system, muscles
Astrological sign: Aries, Leo
Third Chakra Ailments
Physical ailments: IBS, GI issues, diabetes, chronic fatigue, allergies, ulcers, food intolerances
Emotional dysfunctions: Poor self-esteem, always questioning oneself, takes things very personal, overly sensitive to criticism
When the solar plexus chakra is too open, or spins too fast, we can become workaholics, controlling, judgmental, and angry.
When the solar plexus chakra is blocked, or sluggish, we can become overly dependent on others, worrisome about what others think of us, afraid to be alone, and always needing constant re-assurance.
When the solar plexus chakra is balanced, we are inhibited, make choices that are the best for us, and show respect to ourselves and others.
Third Chakra Healing Methods
Crystals: Amber, Yellow Citrine, Topaz
Fragrances: Ylang ylang, Bergamot, Rose, Cinnamon
Third Chakra Meditations:
- I am my own person and I choose how to think and behave. Translation: You’re not the boss of me.
- I deserve all the love, respect, joy and prosperity that comes to me. I am open to receiving all life’s good things. Translation: I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and darn it, people like me.
- I accept myself as I am, and I allow myself, to be myself. Translation: If I wanna wear socks with sandals, then I’ll wear socks with sandals.
Self Reflection Questions for the Third chakra:
- Who in your life takes your power away from you?
- How can you regain balance in your relationships?
- When was the last time you said “no”? What is preventing you from saying “no” to situations and circumstances you don’t want to be a part of?
The following video has 3 great pilates exercise, the first called “ab prep”, the second, “single leg stretch” and finally “obliques in table top”. These 3 exercises can be used to bring energy back to your solar plexus/third chakra. You can do this whenever you are feeling stressed, during your warm-up in a workout, in the morning, or right before you go to bed.