Moving on our way up, we head past the root chakra to what is known as the sacral chakra, one of my favorites and you’ll soon find out why.
The sacral chakra is the transition from survival (what we need to live as in the root chakra) to pleasure. Pretty much, things like sex, sexuality, nurturing, movement, change, and passions. Yeeeeeeaaaah, baby.
As a quick reference guide, I’ve listed the basic description of the the sacral chakra as well as the physical, mental and emotional ailments of each, along with healing modalities.
Sacral Chakra Descriptions
Sanskrit name: Svadhisthana, or “sweetness”
Location: Lower abdomen, between the navel and the genitals
Associated color: Orange
Main Issues: Sexuality, emotional balance
Endocrine Gland: Ovaries/testes
Body parts: Sex organs, bladder, prostate, womb
Astrological sign: Cancer (just so happens to be my sign), Scorpio (a sign also know for its passionate tendencies.)
Physical ailments: Impotence, gynecological issues, lower back pain
Emotional dysfunctions: Unbalanced sex drive (too much or too little), emotional instability, feelings of isolation.
When the sacral chakra is too open, or spins too fast, we can become manipulative, sexually addictive and emotionally unbalanced.
When the sacral chakra is blocked, or sluggish, we can become sexually repressed, frigid, or overly-sensitive.
When the sacral chakra is balanced, we are creative, trusting, able to express ourselves sexually, and in tune with our own feelings.
Sacral Chakra Healing Modalities
Fragrances: Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood
- I am worthy of love and sexual pleasure. Translation: I’m a sexy bitch.
- I feel good about my sexuality. Translation: Bi, gay, straight, who cares!
- I have the right to express my desires to my partner. Translation: Um, honey, can we try pg. 137?
Sacral Chakra Self Reflection Questions:
- How creative are you sexually? Do you discuss this with your partner?
- Are you comfortable giving and receiving? Try giving both of these practice.
- How do you approach changes in your life? Think how you can benefit from changing certain aspects of your life positively.
Sacral Chakra Movement Therapy
The following video has 2 great pilates exercise, the first called a “leg slide” and the second called a “knee tuck”. These 2 exercises can be used to bring energy back to your sacral chakra. You can do this whenever you are feeling stressed, during your warm-up in a workout, in the morning, or right before you go to bed.