The 5th chakra, or throat chakra begins the journey into the higher centers, the areas more concerned with enlightenment and spiritu
As a quick reference guide, I’ve listed the basic description of the the sacral chakra as well as the physical, mental and emotional ailments of each, along with healing modalities.
Throat Chakra Descriptions:
Sanskrit name: Vishudha or “purification”
Location: Centrally at the base of the neck
Associated color: Blue
Main Issues: Communication and self-expression
Endocrine Gland: Thyroid and parathyroid
Body parts: Mouth, throat, and ears
Astrological sign: Gemini, Virgo
Throat Chakra Ailments
Physical ailments: Sore throats, neckaches, low or over-active thyroid, asthma, tinnitus
Emotional dysfunctions: Inability to express emotions, blocked creativity and perfectionism.
When the throat chakra is too open, or spins too fast, we can become dogmatic, self-righteous, and arrogant.
When the throat chakra is blocked, or sluggish, we feel that we can’t fully express ourselves, we feel like we are not heard, and we can become unreliable.
When the throat chakra is balanced, we find it easy to express our thoughts verbally, we are good communicators with others, and are artistically inspired.
Crystals: Turquoise, Aquamarine, Lapis lazuli
Fragrances: Chamomile, Myrrh
Throat Chakra Meditations:
- What I have to say is worthy of being listened to. Translation: My opinion matters.
- I listen to others carefully and consider their thoughts and feelings. Translation: I understand that being a good communicator means being a good listener.
- I always speak from the heart. Translation: I say what I mean, and mean what I say.
Self Reflection Questions for the Throat chakra:
- When was the last time you spoke up in a conversation that you did not agree with?
- Do you feel you are able to express yourself verbally without hesitation to your partner, friends, family and co-workers?
- How do you express your feelings? Do you journal? Write poetry? Or hold it all in?
Movement Therapy for the Throat chakra
The following video has 3 great exercise, the first called a Windmill uses the foam roller to increase mobility in the upper back, the second, is a pilates exercise called “roll-over” and the 3rd is called “jackknife”. These 3 exercises can be used to bring energy back to your throat chakra. You can do this whenever you are feeling stressed, during your warm-up in a workout, in the morning, or right before you go to bed.